Well what a year it's been! After finally opening in early Feb for what was supposed to be a low-key opening, we were taken aback by the rapid popularity of the bar. And it hasn't really let up since.
It's been so exciting to have so many people enjoy our bar and experience the Wonderful World of Beer. Times are a-changing with more people open to trying and learning about new beers and we're very proud of the small part we're playing in that.
Some notable things that have happened this year:
- 150 different beers have been on tap since we opened. These have been sourced from at least 45 different Australian breweries (plus more overseas). I'd hazard a guess there was about 50+ different styles represented.
- We introduced our seasonal SpecTAPular beerfests. Winter SpecTAPular featured 40 winter beers from 40 Australian breweries on tap. Our spring (Octoberfest) SpecTAPular saw 10 imported German beers up against 10 Australian brewed German styles along. The oompah band was exceptionally fun.
- Our Ale Stars monthly beer club sessions started with host (and Local customer) Shandy leading the way as we explored great examples of great beer styles. It has been awesome having beer lovers of all sorts get together like this and it's bloody good fun.
- Trumer celebrated with us another World Beer Cup win for their German style pilsner.
- We had a Holgate beer dinner and a James Squire Tales n Ales night with Chuck Hahn.
- With Tyrone as Head Chef, we make an ever-increasing foray into cooking with beer and matching food with beer.
- Coopers had their annual Coopers Club gathering at the bar with their entire range of beers on tap and a full house of Coopers fans.
- We took over a hotel in Darlinghurst, Sydney, and plan to open The Local Taphouse there in early 2009.
- Rogue Ales from the US had an exclusive launch of their beers in Australia at the TH
- The Taphouse and Mountain Goat gave 1st prize to Australia's home brewer of the year who will brew a beer with MG next year and have it served on tap exclusively at the St Kilda and Darlinghurst Taphouses.
- We were named as a finalist of Australia's Best Specialty Beer Venue after just four months trading.
- Great reviews
- And heaps more (you can read about in this blog)!
We have said goodbye to a number of key staff, in particular Asst Manager, Kate O'Neill, and Duty Manager, Andrew Tynan, who have opened their own bar in Smith Street, Colingwood, called Grumpy's Green. It's an ecologically friendly bar so check it out!
Finally, we haven't always got things at the standards we aspire to but we all continue to work hard to do things even better and we can assure you that 2009 will see us surpass this year.
Thanks to all our great staff, especially Ben , James and Tyrone.
From Guy, Justin and myself, we thank all our 'Locals' for your support and wish you all the best for the year ahead. We look forward to sharing more beer adventures with you all in 2009 in Melbourne AND Sydney!