Friday, November 20, 2009
The Local Arts Initiative launched to provide grants for aspiring young artists
The Local Arts Initiative is a small grants program designed to support aspiring young artists who face disadvantage to achieve their creative dreams. It was established by The Local Taphouse (St Kilda) together with SKYS.
We intend running fundraising events to raise at least $7500 a year for the Initiative. Furthermore, people or companies can make donations.
We are currently calling for young aspiring artists across creative mediums to apply for first round grants.
The Local Arts Initiative aims to:
- To provide accessible grants to disadvantaged young artists across artistic mediums;
- To establish a local fund for the local community to contribute to;
- To demonstrate the capacity of arts as positive and powerful social development tool for young people;
- To create links between artist, industry folk, young people and the local community;
- To assist young artists to display/perform their work in the public forum.
- To encourage innovation and to develop experimental concepts
Who can apply?
- Young artists across creative mediums (photographers, dancers, visual artists, film makers, musicians etc) between 15 -25 years of age.
- Have their application supported by a third party referee (support worker, professional within the creative industry, teacher) who can detail the need for support.
- Be prepared to work with a professional creative mentor to develop a body of work/performance for a public exhibition.
- Applicants must provide evidence of their work such as: CD-ROMs; DVDs; video; slides; drawings; colour laser copies; letters of support, etc.
- Be committed to their art form and realizing their creative potential.
Successful applicants will have access to brokerage to purchase ‘tools of the trade’ and matched with qualified creative mentoring support to work towards the annual public exhibition/performance at The Local Taphouse (the first to be held in July 2010).
Contact Sharni at St.Kilda Youth Services (9534 3685) for an application form or further information.
If you'd like to make a donation, you can send it to us at email@example.com via Paypal using your credit card (reference LAI).